- Who We Serve
- Resource Center
The R&D Chemist uses various analytical, scientific, and chemical methods to execute the development of new technologies at Blacklidge. The position requires an extreme amount of dedication, focus, and passion towards innovation. The position requires the ability to understand, utilize, and develop various laboratory tests and methods to achieve the stated objectives. The R&D Chemist should be able to independently recognize problems, review the available literature, interpret and analyze laboratory results, determine appropriate actions, and utilize superior analytical, computational, and cognitive skills to replace challenges with solutions. The position requires a general understanding of applied research and other practical aspects of new product development, implementation, and commercialization. The position involves routine collaboration with the Technical Director and other team members to establish project direction and discuss updates, relevant findings, progress, and executables. The position further requires the ability to delegate tasks to the BETA R&D research team while maintaining an excellent working relationship with all BETA R&D and Blacklidge employees. The R&D Chemist must possess an ability to relate to a wide range of individuals through excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills. The R&D Chemist serves a vital role on the Blacklidge team but is also part of a strong, family-oriented network.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute, lead, and advance R&D projects at Blacklidge
- Develop and evaluate new methods and technologies
- Analyze laboratory results and determine appropriate actions
- Assess and summarize relevant industry literature, research, and emerging technologies
- Prepare formal reports and presentations for the Technical Director, other team members, external customers, and business partners
- Participate in a couple of technical/research-based industry meetings per year, including paper submissions and presentations promoting latest Blacklidge products and technology
- Assist Technical Director and other team members with approvals, customer training, implementation, and commercialization of new products
- Assist Technical Director and other team members with promotion of Blacklidge technologies with industry, academia, and user agencies
Education, Experience, and Skills
- BS or higher in chemistry or related field from an accredited college or university required
- Preferred emphasis in one or more of the following areas: coatings, polymers, adhesion science, formulation chemistry
- Ability to learn quickly and apply knowledge and skills to asphalt, emulsion, polymers, and other related infrastructure materials
- Knowledge of material rheology, adhesion, and emulsion chemistry
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience in a laboratory research environment required
- Highly skilled at analytical and computational tasks
- Highly proficient interpretation, writing, communication, and presentation abilities
Only committed and qualified individuals should apply. If this description matches you, let’s get started on your new and rewarding career.
All applicants will be administered a pre-employment drug screen and background screen. Blacklidge also randomly tests employees for illegal substances.